Molly Beck's
Smart, Pretty & Awkward

How to be Smarter: Doing something different than everyone else can be scary because there is no one to compare yourself to. That’s also the benefit.

How to be Prettier: How to Transform a Hoodie. [I wouldn’t recommend the baby one, but the rest are pretty cool].

How to be (less) Awkward: Before you start a fight with a loved one, ask yourself “is this something I would bring up if I was dropping them off at the airport?” People don’t fight over small things on the way to the airport because they know their time together is very limited; if the item would be too trivial to mention on an airport drop-off run, it probably doesn’t make sense to pick a fight over it now.

June 19, 2012

10 Responses

1. Alena says:

Wow, the less awkward tip instantly made me sad. On my family’s last trip to the airport, and indeed, every single trip there with my mom and dad in the car, my dad brings up something to fight about. When he was dropping us off just a week ago or so, he sharply lectured me and I unfortuantly lashed out. God I will never do this to someone now. It’s so tiring.

2. Mugdha says:

Too true on the airport thing. I have been having to remind myself about this a lot the last week or so with my big trip coming up.

3. I love how your blog always makes me think in a different way. The To-The-Airport thing really opens my eyes.

4. Bridget says:

Honestly, great post today. Thank you for both the Smart and Awkward reminders.

5. The airport one is very good advice. I love your posts here, I wish you weren’t so busy so you could do them every day! 🙂

6. NameAllison says:

The awkward comment really hit home with me today. I have been making mountains out of molehills lately and having this in the back of mind will give me a big reality check. Thanks so much!

7. The awkward thing hit me – I am awkward in many ways. Thank you for, you know, making me realize something. THAAANKIES!^^
    Oh no I’m awkward again.

8. GS says:

I’ve had some great, very serious talks on the way to the airport. Knowing your time is limited makes it possible to really focus on resolving something, if all parties are interested in resolving it and not fighting. Depends so much on the people though!

9. kb says:

I like this concept. But GS has a good point, also, the post doesn’t leave any room for picking your moments, and realizing that sometimes you DO have to deal with little minor things. No, maybe, an airport drop-off isn’t the time or place to talk about them, but not talking will eventually lead to much bigger problems.

10. Allie says:

I agree that “picking fights” is definitely not a great thing, but talking out some problems may be for the best, if you handle it in a mature way. Good advice, though!