Molly Beck's
Smart, Pretty & Awkward

How to be Smarter: You don’t make polite small talk with other people just to make their day better. You do it because it makes both your days better. Humans need other humans, and even just sharing a quick exchange about the song playing on the radio with the secretary at the dentist’s office can make the interaction or the wait time more enjoyable for everyone.

How to be Prettier: The width of a scarf is as important as its length; thin scarves look dramatically different around your neck than wider scarves.

How to be (less) Awkward: Pretty much everything that seemed miserable to me five years ago is now my best material for jokes. So when things look bad or you screwed something up, imagine how in a few years (or months, or weeks, or even minutes) it will be just another funny story you can tell on first dates and mass-text to your girlfriends.

November 30, 2011

11 Responses

1. Jessica says:

Molly

I LOVE the less awkward. It is so incredibly true. When I see my best friends from college or high school all we do is joke about the embarrassing times we were rejected by a dance date or got lost in downtown Cincinnati for three hours (scary). Your blog makes my day better and puts things in perspective! Keep up the amazing work.

2. Junia says:

Molly,
    I’ve been reading your blog for about a year now, but this may be my first comment. I just wanted to say that I totally agree with your less awkward. In fact, I take pictures of such occasions just because I know that even if it’s miserable, I’ll laugh later. (I got a speeding ticket: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/5732_813113861153_1221735_46384111_3625855_n.jpg)

3. margaux says:

The width of scarves is super important! I’m constantly cold inside buildings but I don’t always want to bring a sweater. Sometimes I bring my super wide scarf that doubles as a shawl or a blanket for my legs when I’m sitting at a desk or table. I even have a friend who backpacked around the Southern United States using only a super wide and long scarf as her bed blanket! Its a sneaky way to stay warm!

4. Jessica says:

Thanks for your Smarter comment. As someone who is quite shy, this is a great reminder for me that when I do get past the initial fear of interaction it usually does make me feel more connected. I needed to hear that.

5. cheryl says:

it saddens me when people are put-off by a random comment….like remarking to the woman behind me that the grocery coupons are a conspiracy to make us buy more (the first register one is for a discount buying 2 cereals….the next requires 3 to get the reward, then 4!!!). i think it is good to connect. even better, random praise…more than one fellow commuter in my Boston days said my quick admiration of funky glasses or a cute dress made their day

6. cheryl says:

hit post too soon…..and the knowledge that it brightened their day TOTALLY made mine in turn

7. Laura says:

Definitely needed to hear the Awkward today, thank you! :)

8. Colleen says:

That is so true about small talk! I always feel better when I make small talk with strangers in the elevator or at the grocery store. It somehow validates that I am a normal person and not socially awkward!

9. Allison says:

The quote today is so powerful and relevant to every aspect of life… definitely going to keep it in mind!

10. tori says:

I wanted to share this with you, I think you may like it! You’ve inspired me so much over the years I’ve been reading you. Thank you for your wisdom!

Giving too much too soon; holding back for too long – this is our beautiful and imperfect dance…the dance that makes us human.

From
    http://twitter.com/#!/simonsinek/status/137983801023401986 (not me)

11. Holly says:

Less awkward is so inspiring