Molly Ford's
Smart, Pretty & Awkward

How to be Smarter: It can seem important to do something the “best way,” but it’s actually more important to do it the “best way for you.”

How to be Prettier: I really disliked the winter months until my best friend recommended this coat, which she also owns. It was an investment, but it has changed my feelings towards winter completely. I wear it daily to work and to run errands, and I feel so warm in it (the comment everyone makes when they see me in it: “you look bundled!”).

How to be (less) Awkward: You may never know what issues others are facing, and many people struggle with body image distortions. By keeping your own comments about your body positive, you are both reminding and reinforcing to yourself what a beautiful person you are, and serving as a role model to those who may be silently struggling to see their own beauty.

January 14, 2011

13 Responses

1. alexandra says:

i’m in such suspense about seeing the coat! i’m in the uk and the link doesn’t quite direct me there. can you/anyone else able to see the coat please respond with the name of it so i can google it properly? thanks :)

2. Laura says:

I have been reading your blog for a while now but today I love the awkward and the smarter more than usual. My quote to live by is, “Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.” Which I think fits quite nicely with the awkward on a broader scale.

3. Emilie says:

I have a big puffy coat and the boy I am dating really hates it. He calls it “the everest sleeping bag” or “the tube sock”. One night when he was wasted, he declared I looked homeless with it unzipped. It used to really bother me but then I decided he was just bitter about how cold he was all the time :)

4. Vanessa says:

I loved the awkward on this one. My child development teacher once said something similar – that when she was a teenager she, like many girls, would always complain about how she was fat or whatnot, even though she wasn’t very overweight. One day her mom pointed out to her that calling herself fat isn’t making anyone feel better, but in fact was making those girls who may actually have a weight issue feel so much worse about themselves as they compare. “If SHE thinks she’s fat, what am I…?” mode of thinking. She said that ever since she was a lot more careful with her words.

5. Lizzie says:

work hard, play hard. great quote motto!

6. Michelle says:

I love my northfaces!…although mine aren’t as big and puffy, and i doubt nearly as warm lol but they’re still my favorites :)

7. Christina says:

On the smarter, we use the excuse “if you can’t do it right, then don’t bother” when in reality we need to stop being lazy and get it done. Taking 20 minutes a day to workout is better than waiting for a day where you have 2 hours, because it’ll never happen!

Thanks for the great blog =D

8. Vanessa P says:

LOVE less awkward.
    just the advice I needed, put so eloquently.

9. Mugdha says:

Loved today’s quote and the smarter and less awkward. just the inspiration I needed! Thanks!

10. Bonnie Leee says:

I’ve been reading for about a week now, I love it <3

The Smarter was just what I needed today. I was working on organizing my college notes, and felt like I should be more "organized", but the truth is I am organized, it just doesn't look like it from the outside…Your words freed me today.

11. [...] “You may never know what issues others are facing, and many people struggle with body image distortions. By keeping your own comments about your body positive, you are both reminding and reinforcing to yourself what a beautiful person you are, and serving as a….” [...]

12. [...] How to be Prettier: An easy to help a winter coat look less bulky is to chose a belted style. [I mentioned my winter coat, which I still love, in this post]. [...]