Molly Beck's
Smart, Pretty & Awkward

How to be Smarter: If your significant other is not meeting your expectations, you need to either change your expectations or change your significant other. If the issue is small, change your expectations. If the issue is large, change your significant other. And the way to decide if an issue is small or large is to figure out how important the issue is to you. The more important the issue is to you, the bigger it is.

How to be Prettier: Just the cutest little things for your feet to snuggle in as we roll into fall nights. Also the perfect thing to buy for a friend going through a rough time, or to mail in a care package to someone you love that is far-away.

How to be (less) Awkward: In an elevator, women exit first, and age take priority. For example, if you and your boyfriend are in an elevator, you get off first. If you and your mom are in the elevator, your mom exits first. If you, your boyfriend, and your mom are in the elevator, your mom exits, then you, then your boyfriend. If you, your boyfriend, your dad, and your mom are in the elevator,  your mom exits, then you, then your dad, then your boyfriend.

September 27, 2010

10 Responses

1. Valerie says:

I love your Awkward post! I never knew about those elevator rules but it makes sense and I will try to put them into practice next time I take an elevator with people. The only problem is, I’m terrified of the elevators in my building! :)

2. I live in manhattan where there are innumerable elevators and i was never sure of the protocol. I always follow; exit in the order you got (i live on the 8th floor, if someone was on when i got on the elevator, i would let them exit first when we were on the ground floor, then me, then the person who joined on the third floor) on but if everyone gets on together that becomes a little hazy. This is so much more clear cut… although my mom would make me go first because she likes when people mistake us for sisters… sigh.

3. annie says:

love the elevator advice!!

4. Brooke says:

This quote is has a lot of similarities to the Aristotle quote; “You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.” Very nice!

• Sara says:

I was going to say the same thing about the Aristotle quote!

I never knew about that elevator rule. Usually my elevator is too crowded to really follow any rules, we all just kind of pile in and out. :(

5. Katy says:

Um… for any elevators I get in, whoever is closest gets out first.
    That way we don’t wait forever in the elevator.
    The rules are still sweet though :)

6. Riles says:

Love the smarter – good advice, hard to enact. How does one really know how big an issue is? I often let issues build up and then a small issue causes things to explode…
    I think most of us know when a relationship has run its course…we just don’t admit it.

7. Emily says:

How to be smarter-good idea on changing or altering your expectations, but you can’t change people ever. Only people can change themselves. You can only influence someone’s change or decision to change. Important for girls to know.

• Vanessa says:

I thought of that as well, but then I realized maybe it was meant as “pick a different person to be your significant other.” You are right though – you can never change anyone but yourself, which is why it’s so important going in to relationships to be aware that, while change might be nice, you can’t bank on it. [ie: "Oh, he's a little rough around the edges, but I just know someday he'll change."]

• Vanessa says:

I meant that last bit as an example of what not to do. Sorry for any confusion.