Molly Beck's
Smart, Pretty & Awkward

How to be Smarter: The less often people ask for help from you, the more you should pay attention when they actually do.

How to be Prettier: The happiest people I know, dress happy. And dressing joyfully, for most people, doesn’t mean black. I don’t believe that people wear black because they like it–I believe they wear black because they think it makes them look slimmer, or because they believe they will blend in better, or because they are under the impression wearing colors other than black is more work. I don’t think any of those are always true. Dress happy–wear color.

How to be (less) Awkward: How to be Alone: A How-To Video.  I really like this.

September 16, 2010

14 Responses

1. Alex says:

I think this is one of the best (less) awkwards EVER.

2. Claire says:

On Wearing Black:
    Monochromatic stylishness is classic. Wearing all black or black does have its roots in Victorian mourning sensibilities. But it also is part of the culture of metropolitan life. New Yorkers are famous for that chic all-black look. It also may be that when you are looking at those “unhappy” individuals in black that they work in either the service or retail industry and their jobs require that they dress in the dark hue. I find wearing some black (paired with fun jewelry and shoes of course) is a great way to say “I’m serious about what’s at hand and my fun personality is highlighted by my streamlined exterior”.

Finally: if you don’t think this is the happiest girl in all black then you’re nuts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3oxqmKGM5g (audrey hepburn in funny face).

3. Leigh says:

Oh I agree with Claire on the wearing black thing! I looooove black and could easily wear it most days…paired with colorful shoes and jewelry, smiling away. I say being pretty is wearing what makes YOU happy, even if its all black or gray!

4. Kristin says:

I’m so glad you enjoyed the video as much as I did! :)

5. Alexandra says:

Very nice video, thank you!

6. stephanie says:

the video is splendid. thank you. i’m always surrounded by people and while i love them i wish to be alone sometimes. i did not learn how to be alone until i had a houseful of people to take care of. oh, the irony. =) love going to the movies ALONE!

thanks for your wonderful blog. when my girlies are old enough, i hope you are still around for them to read you.

7. crystal says:

I have to agree with some of the comments above about wearing black. It’s true that certain colors have cultural or emotional significance to some people, but I think you’re being superstitions. Should we also not keep black animals? Should I wear red if I’m angry? Black is a color, and some people rock it.

8. crystal says:

The video is great though, I caught that a few days ago in my Google Reader and immediately forwarded it to a lot of my friends.

9. The structure of your site is Perfect, I wish I had thought of it :)
    The color black can go wither way for me- I have worn it both to feel mysterious and sexy, and also because I wanted to blend into my depression. I can’t say the same thing about yellow- it pretty much makes me perky and that’s it. Not sure anyone ever put black on as a pick-me-upper……

10. Brie says:

I’m wearing black cardigan today…but I have a hot pink dress on underneath! :o ) I agree with Molly – wear fun colors, be happy!

11. jamie Love says:

Loved that How to be Alone video. I’m learning that each more every day!

love
    xx
    j

12. I’m almost a year late but I’m reading through your whole blog today. It’s marvellous. But I have to respectfully disagree about black clothing. I loooooove black clothing. I think a gypsy/boho/Stevie Nicks/witchy vibe is amazingly powerful and sexy. I feel empowered and beautiful when I wear black. No other color makes me as happy.